Thursday 26 March 2015

Jamie Oliver's Quick Recipes

When you say 'cooking programme' I automatically think of Jamie Oliver. Why? He's everywhere- in bookshops, online, on television and on posters in store. His youtube channel is made up of quick and diverse recipes where he often collaborates with well known youtubers or celebrities. Here we have his Chicken and Mushroom Pie in 3 minutes.


What I find with short informative videos is that you just keep watching. You think to yourself okay, that only took 3 minutes of my time, I can watch another 9 to make it 30 mins. But before you know it you've sat through and watched 2 hours of cooking videos. 

The three minutes means no singing or dancing from Jamie- which I feel only work for children's cooking programmes. I can't lie, I think it'd be pretty entertaining. But seriously, the three minutes means getting through the recipe quickly without any nonsense. Not only do Jamie's brisk movements set the pace for the video, but the sometimes tedious act of cooking is presented as enjoyable. Imagine if he were standing still and speaking slowly at the camera- it wouldn't work, we'd all switch channels right away.

Although he has speedy movements, they aren't fast to the extent where we don't understand him, we do. This is how we know this programme was made for an older audience, (...well, aside from his language and the recipes he's making) younger viewers tend to expect a step by step guide alongside definite instructions. Jamie's ingredients are not presented to us at the start of the video, he throws them in throughout- however, all the details are listed on his website so be sure to check that out if you're interested in his recipes.

Everything about his cooking is casual. He himself speaks to the viewers in a very conversational tone creating a sense that we are being taught by a friend. His cooking style is relaxed, we see him throwing the food into the pan (if I did that I'd definitely miss it). There aren't really any precise measurements in the video. His kitchen also looks homely and welcoming unlike the white, sparkling clean and at times intimidating elegant kitchens. Viewers feel as if they are watching him cook in their own home- encouraging them to try out his recipes. "That is cooked when it looks cooked" has to be my favourite line from the video, I did not expect that- and there's no way you would see it written in a recipe book.

What appeals to me, is the presentation of his food after it's cooked. He roughly scoops out the pie and places it onto a plate with the filling oozing out. Now that's what I call home cooked food. It's the lack of emphasis on the presentation and focus on taste which appeals to those cooking for family. I was definitely left hungry after watching his videos and I genuinely feel that he can make any complicated dish seem so simple to cook!



No comments:

Post a Comment